Monday, March 12, 2012

don't look down


Squanch took this a few weeks ago. Happens often. No Big Deal.
So it's nighttime in the woods right now and while sitting reading, sleeping baby in my arms, it suddenly occurred to me I was going to have to, ahem,  poot.


Usually, I do it during the day. How could I possibly schedule such an event? You would too if you had an outhouse. Believe me, it's a terrifying event to use the shitter at night. The dark is scary enough as it is, but add the odd nearby coyote sighting, or midnight howl fest (feast?), and it becomes terrifying.


Squanch is especially good in that he will often lead me out into the darkness and wait outside the outhouse, contemplating his old life as a mythological creature. Bigfoot not afraid. 


Of course Squanch is sleeping at this moment, and so my chaperon this time is the dog, the wimp who was freaking out at the meer presence of tin foil earlier today.


I maneuver the baby into her crib, shove on my big boots, put on a head lamp and run about 100 feet into the woods.


That's when it happens. Something more terrifying than coyotes. I shine the light into the hole.


Think of everything you have flushed in 6 months. Now imagine peering into a pit of everything you have flushed in 6 months.

Ya. Living a running water free life is not for everyone. It may seem idyllic, and it is for me. That is until I forget a very simple rule: DON'T LOOK DOWN!

6 comments:

  1. This made me laugh! I know exactly what you mean....particularly in winter, when the poo-gnome appears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious. And I am so happy to have discovered your blog via Ryan at Pacing the Panic Room. Happy coincidence would have it that you're currently his last published comment on today's blog entry. :) Hello from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thanks so much Laura. Ya that trough/pool thingy they have is just what I've had in mind for jigging up some kind of outdoor bathtub for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. UGH! Don't you have ashes or lye or something to toss in after you go?! I don't blame you for looking though. I suppose something could be sitting down there waiting to strike. That's what I'm always sure of. I look even in my own toilet. Every time. A snake, a rate, a pistol. You never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya ash works ok.

      funny story, when i was in town last week i used the toilet at the health centre and when i flushed it scared Juni so much she almost started crying. I remember being afraid of the flushing noise when i was a kid and so i would flush and then run! You win some you lose some I guess.

      Delete