Sunday, February 2, 2014

groundhog day

Operation early riser is going great. I decided yesterday I would let myself sleep in, but that only lasted until Juni woke up and I felt terribly sour all day. So I'm tinkering with the idea of making my early mornings an everyday thing. Also, I have come to the realization that my own sleep doesn't matter, only that of my partner who is a paramedic, which might as well be the most important job in the world. Grrr. I'll give him that. How would you feel if the person you lived with had that to hold over your head? Oh, you want to sleep in? Well, I'm a paramedic, so...
Basically, I want my mornings to be like the movie Groundhog Day, except I will be happy to wake up in the same way every single day. Actually, it would probably give me a chuckle to wake up to the same sonny and cher song like bill murray does in the movie. Plus Feb 2nd is my birthday, so I can pretend it is the first day of my life every day. woot. 

Here is a quote from the movie:

"When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life. But standing here among the people of Punxsutawney and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, I couldn't imagine a better fate than a long and lustrous winter."

So I will try to have a positive attitude, and if I don't, I will try to enjoy the sensation of whatever else kind of attitude I have. Yesterday I was grumpy, but I found it refreshing and a bit comical and went with that flow. I think that is what groundhog day is about, surrendering to life the way it is and not trying to force things, noticing the beauty in things, or just noticing. The movie has Buddhist sensibilities, I would say. I have to watch it again!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!!! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I obsess over sleep often, will there be enough of it in particular. Nice Chekhov quote too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You have no idea how much this meant to me yesterday that my imaginary internet friend (who's blog I read religiously) wished me hbd!

    ReplyDelete