Thursday, January 10, 2013

I dislike winter. There.



Trying to be positive and write clearly thought out blog posts is making me mute. So here are a few half thoughts.

1. Cloud Atlas the movie made me swear off meat. (Reasons being the mass production of animals just for our consumption is something I have a hard time ignoring). A few times in my life I've been on a highway and passed a truck filled with live pigs. Plus the idea of forcing animals to eat their own selves to fatten them up for us to eat.... repulses me. Cannibalism. Horrifying. I should read the book. Game meat is different. I would eat it. But still this is hypocritical because I would never shoot anything unless my life or someone else's was in danger. I think.

2. Working at Starbucks. Why is it so enjoyable? Is it the constant stream of free drinks? Is it the constant stream of people to watch? Is it the camaraderie with fellow baristas? Is it the smugness of knowing I am in control of the sanity of a great many people in this town... police, medics, veterinarians, politicians... here's your coffee and a psychotic (not even ironic or forced) smile..

3. Night has eaten up the day. I'm cold. It is dark for too long.

4. Why doesn't Canada own a warm island somewhere? Oh. Because everyone would live there and we need people here to mine and drill and chop down trees. right. and there aren't enough mexicans to do everything.

5. "So you got mountains? That don't impress me much."

6. How many times did I utter the word Yukon before living here? 1 in grade 4 geography class? Yeah. Once. I don't like this place compared to pretty much every other place I've been in Canada. And I've  been everywhere else except NWT and NFL. But there are jobs here. A good life for our family. 3 months of decent weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment