Wednesday, January 29, 2014

file it under G y'all

I won't bore you today with more self adulation on becoming a morning person. It was difficult today and I am far from as productive as I would like to be, anyway. So here is some advice on getting your living space under control.

My day job is as a house cleaner and i have a few insights on keeping up a house as I see about 15 houses in a given month all at varying stages of chaos.

One thing I notice is CLUTTER. 

Holy eff people, you are keeping way to much shit that is crowding out your life. Deep down, I think we have been brainwashed to think that throwing things out is bad. Whatever the reason: recycling propaganda (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), depression era cellular memories passed down through the generations, etc. Either way we are afraid to throw shit out. And when I mean throw out, I don't necessarily mean capital G garbage, but also capital G goodbye: recycling, composting, donating all apply. 

Of course desperate times call for desperate measures and the easiest way to get a bit of zen going in your house is to sit down and watch a couple episode of a hoarders type show then go through your house with a big black garbage bag. Put everything in this bag, even stuff that can be composted or recycled. if you have the time, separate it, if you don't, throw it in the trash bin outside and forget about it, that crap already existed in the world and it can either be sitting cluttering up your home or sitting with its friends in the landfill. 

Things to throw out:

  • dead plants (deserve to cross over)
  • food that's bad or you won't eat (your fridge is a goldmine for garbage!)
  • broken items (you ain't never gonna fit it)
  • worn out items (socks with holes, anything you can't donate honourably)
  • wire hangers (get wood... i will elaborate on clothing purging and storage in a later post)
  • papers! (o my hell the papers. i will also devote a post to this)
  • expired everything (makeup, food...go back to your fridge and i guarantee there will be an expired salad dressing. i once found 5 in my da's fridge)
  • failed attempts at crafting or art (i'm looking at you other bloggers)
Liberate yourselves from the crap! Once life is a bit less cluttered you can worry about getting back to your ideal, earth friendly self. But for now, be relentless. If it ain't adding value to your life, toss it. "File it under G" for Garbage aka GOODBYE!

2 comments:

  1. Haha great post! I go through the fridge fairly often, I've purged so many papers already, but the failed crafting attempts - that's me! It's like I keep hanging on to stuff in case I 'might get to that' one day... Going to take your advice and sort that mess out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I confess, my basement corner craft area is becoming a bit of a squirrel hole of fabrics and I haven't touched my sewing machine in about 5 years, never mind hauling the contraption literally across canada.

    ReplyDelete