Sunday, January 26, 2014

Morning Times



I turn 32 on Groundhog Day and my life is almost complete. I have the partner of my dreams, a 2-year-old daughter, a house, the perfect dog, my own business. The only thing missing is writing. It’s always been there, floating around in my mind. There are scraps, attempts at novels, stories, poems, but I have nothing to show for the continent size flotsam of ideas knocking against the shores of my mind.

My days are spent caring for our little girl, tending to household chores and working. By the time the evening rolls around and Buggy is in bed I read and then fall asleep. Why the heck can’t I wake up in the morning?

It’s not so much that I don’t wake up; it is that I don’t GET UP. Take this am: I woke up and looked at the clock and it was 5am, a reasonable time for someone to get up and write for a few hours, but I was so cozy and warm in bed that I just cuddled back into the covers and went back to sleep!

A few ideas I’ve gathered from internet, magazines, friends:

  • Coffee beans in bedside table. Sniff upon waking.


  • Nap during the day (tried, ruins ability to fall asleep at night)


  • Go to sleep early  (I do this already)


  • Reward myself with chocolate when I do wake up


  • Get Jon to pour water on me


  • Daylight simulator alarm clock


  • Two alarm clocks, loud one across room a minute after the first quiet one


  • Use an app that wakes me up at optimum point in sleep cycle


  • Make bed less comfy


  • Have everything ready to go for the morning
This morning I did the two alarms. I think this will be helpful because I will want to shut the loud one before I wake the baby. It also helped that I told Jon my desire. I didn't want to be a failure in his eyes, lol.

Okay, off to drink tea and write:) 


No comments:

Post a Comment